August 06, 2004

Septic Sceptic

I inherently mistrust people - people at workplace, people in relationships, strangers, and practically anybody and everybody who is not 'family'. I even mistrust my family at times. Sounds paranoid, doesn't it? I somehow feel that people always work to cause you intentional or unintentional harm, and mistrusting their every action provides me a magical shield with which I can safeguard my personal interests. It prevents me from being impulsive. I weigh the pros and cons in my head, analyze the situation and psycho-analyze the people invovled in it, before I reach a conclusion or decide on a response. Seems like a scientific experiment, done ad-hoc and distastefully. I probably am sounding egocentric and too much of a non-believer in the goodness of mankind. However, this is exactly what I have come to realize out of experience, or whatever little of it I've had so far.

It all started with the concept of a 'best friend' at school. I would, the unsuspecting and naive person that I was, place my complete trust in someone I would choose to call my best friend only to find myself 'betrayed'. They would move on nonchalantly to make friends with many more and revel in their companionship while treating me as 'just another friend', and I would be left all shattered. An instant opposition to this argument would be that the friendship above was really a child getting into one, and not a mature adult.

But as I grew older, I was into much deeper and meaninful relationships with a host of people who had varied upbringings and perspectives. But one thing that still remained a constant amidst all the change was the lack of consistency in their responses towards me. Viewed from my standpoint, despite my staying the same always, their perspective towards me kept changing with time. I guess it was the 'Theory of Relativity' at work. From my frame of reference, I was static, but the things around me transformed overnight into something unfamiliar and alien. Maybe it was my perspective that was undergoing a transformation, and much too erratically at that for comfort.

Later, I realized it was more a problem with me than anybody else. Maybe I was expecting a bit too much from others. I thought the best way to remedy that was to stop expecting altogether. A rather radical solution, but it worked nonetheless. I was a believer still, albeit a strange one - one with a null set of beliefs. The will to defend myself from the pain and anguish manifested itself first in mistrusting strangers and caught on gradually with respect to almost everyone I knew, till one fine day, I suddenly woke up to the realization that I had turned into a perpetual sceptic, an abslolute non-believer. Since then I have struggled to strike a balance between the two extremes.

I guess the urge to balance stems from the fact that both the extremes offer something unique that is desirable in all inter-personal interactions. While being a sceptic acts as your defense mechanism that is so essential for maintaining your individual identity, being a believer in goodness of mankind lends you a certain spontaneity in thought and action that is refreshing for the soul of a relationship. Where and how the equilibrium is reached varies with each individual.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't agree with one statement - "being a sceptic acts as your defense mechanism that is so essential for maintaining your individual identity". Maintaining individual identity does not require a strong defense mechanism though I certainly agree that skepticism is a form of defense, even if too radical, tending towards rationalization. Maintaining individual identity is more a matter of a healthy ego, not a defense mechanism to protect the ego.

Anonymous said...

FAITH is not rationalization at all: neither for nor against, neither this nor that. Faith is a trusting, a love.HEART doesn’t know what doubt is, heart doesn’t know what BELIEVE is- heart simply knows trust. Heart is like a small child; the small child clings to the father’s hand, and wherever the father is going the child is going, neither trusting nor doubting. The child is undivided. Doubt is half, belief is half. A child is still total. Whole.
Why it almost always happens that when u start missing something u start thinking about it, tou start creting a philosophy bout it. People who have not loved write books bout luv, which is just a speculation without any experince.

That Stingy Banker Dude said...

In response to first comment...

Freud is oft misquoted by people, claiming they understand the 'Id, Ego, Super-Ego' trichotomy suggested by him, in an attempt to solve any and every problem they encounter in real world. I am one of such.

When I labelled scepticism as a defense mechanism, I was loosely talking about other constructs of the subconscious mind described by Freud as defenses against undesirable external stimuli, namely - Compensation, Denial, Displacement, Fantasy, Intellectualization, Projection, Rationalization, Reaction formation, Repression, Regression, and Sublimation.

I don't know whether or not Scepticism fits the same bill. Maybe it's a derivative of the above, or maybe it is not. I however felt that in order to safeguard/maintain/defend once identity, or if I may abuse the above terminology, the Ego, one has to resort to taking things others say with a pinch of salt. That was my sense in the above argument.

The central idea being that if you are too unsuspecting, people may end up taking you for a ride or choose to ignore your identity altogether. Thus, in order to make your presence felt, you have to speak out your mind every so often even if it is not the most coherent of voices emerging from within you.

Anonymous said...

When you make statements like "a null set of beliefs", "stop expecting altogether" and "perpetual sceptic", you are not talking about taking others' words with a "pinch" of salt. You are literally disbelieving them and deliberately mistrusting them to avoid being "taken for a ride". This is a strong defense mechansim. It may not be rationalization exactly. Perhaps it is denial, but it remains a strong defense on the ego. To put my point plainly, without any Freudian terms, I don't agree that such a strong negative measure is needed to survive the world happily. It might be healthier and more positive to learn to spot trustworthy people and make acquintance with them than to develop an attitude of mistrust towards all.