February 21, 2005

The Uncertainty Principle, Revisited.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle states, "The position and momentum of a particle cannot be simultaneously measured with arbitrarily high precision. There is a minimum for the product of the uncertainties of these two measurements."

I read, "The position and momentum of a human life cannot be simultaneously measured with arbitrarily high precision. There is a minimum for the product of the uncertainties of these two measurements."

I could go a step further and claim that the minimum of uncertainties that we talk about above is directly proportional to the inverse of average self-awareness of our species, but that would spoil the impact of my revelation.

Translated into publicspeak, it simply means that when my life possesses negligible momentum, I have all the time to measure my position with respect to the frame of reference of the world. However, no matter how accurately I can determine where I stand, my position is inconsequential to the rest of the world; and probably, even to myself. Conversely, when my life seems to be gaining momentum at the speed of light, with too many things happening at the same time, and I finding no time to sit back, relax and ponder over the steps taken and decisions made, I can hardly figure out where I am headed. Ironical indeed!

I guess it is this very uncertainty that makes us all, from time to time, search for meaning of our lives, on either side of the uncertainty spectrum!!

No comments: